- Average costs: $20.72/month for a 35-year-old male non-smoker purchasing $500,000 in coverage for a 20-year term, $89.92/month for a 35-year-old male smoker purchasing $500,000 in coverage for a 20-year term.
- Term life policy limits: Up to $3 million for Haven Term Life, up to $500,000 for Haven Simple.
- Whole life policy limits: Not available
- Riders/Addons: Accelerated death benefit, waiver of premium, HavenLife Plus
- Eligibility: Up to age 64 for Haven Term Life and between ages 20 to 55 for Haven Simple.
- Discounts available: N / A
- Other insurances offered: Disability
Generous no medical exam options
Haven Life Simple makes it possible to buy up to $500,000 in coverage with no medical exam. Many competitors either do not offer coverage options without a medical exam or the coverage limits are much lower — as low as $25,000.
Top notch customer service
Haven Life is backed by MassMutual, which has more than 160 years of industry experience. On JD Power’s 2021 US Individual Life Insurance Study, MassMutual earned above-average rankings and was beat by just six competitors in terms of its overall customer satisfaction rating.
Access to other services
Haven Life Plus allows policyholders to access other services beyond life insurance at no added costs. This includes a fitness app offering thousands of workouts and music, access to a program that makes it possible to create a customized will or trust that’s legally valid in the creator’s state, and free use of an app that combines neuroscience and sleep research to help policyholders avoid jet lag while traveling.
What could be improved
Offer more coverage types
Haven Life provides only term life insurance. Permanent life insurance policies aren’t offered. While most people will do better with term life coverage, whole life plans make more sense for people in certain situations. This includes circumstances when coverage will always be needed, rather than required for just a limited time.
Provide convertible policy options
Haven Life doesn’t provide policyholders with the chance to make their life insurance convertible from a term to a whole life policy if circumstances change. Many competitors do allow this feature, which can be invaluable for those who determine they will need ongoing coverage rather than just protection temporarily during the coverage period.
Provide more coverage terms
Haven Life offers up to five different coverage terms, while some competitors offer more. For example, AIG offers 18 different options for term length offers. Policyholders looking for the most flexibility in how their coverage lasts won’t find it with Haven Life.